Monday, February 06, 2012

A pretty slapdash list

Being represented as a "favorite" rather than a "greatest" or "best" 25 albums list, I went with what came to mind when I tried to look deep in my heart. Here's what I sent:
I was thinking tonight was the deadline and that Friday would be the results, but I guess Friday is the deadline. Still, I whipped this up so I'll send it. Despite myself though (not being much for lists, at least my own):

(in no particular order)


  1. Beach Boy PET SOUNDS    10
  2. Neil Young TRANS    10
  3. Beatles WHITE ALBUM    10
  4. Kinks KINK KRONIKLES    10
  5. Beach Boys WILD HONEY    10
  6. Kinks SOMETHING ELSE    10
  7. Pink Floyd PIPER AT THE GATES    10
  8. Sir Thomas Beecham MUSIC OF DELIUS    10
  9. Duster Bennett JUSTA DUSTER    10
  10. Kinks GREAT LOST KINKS ALBUM    10
  11. Bob Dylan BLONDE ON BLONDE    10
  12. Kinks ARTHUR    10
  13. Shangri-Las GREATEST HITS    10
  14. Lana Del Rey BORN TO DIE (yes, right beside the Shangri-Las; and not an ironical bone in my body!)    10
  15. Rolling Stones FLOWERS    10
  16. CHRONOPHAGIE    10
  17. Pet Shop Boys VERY    10
  18. Tradewinds EXCURSIONS    10
  19. Insect Trust HOBOKEN SATURDAY NIGHT    10
  20. The Zombies ODESSEY AND ORACLE    10
  21. Chocolate Watchband INNER MYSTIQUE (don't try to listen to this on MOG -- it's a re-recording)    10
  22. Spirit TIME CIRCLE    10
  23. X WILD GIFT/LOS ANGELES    10
  24. Go-Betweens 1978-1990    10
  25. Nick Lowe BASHER    10
Too much Kinks, I know. Lots of stuff I remember fondly from my record playing days (going back to teen-age years), pretty much what I remember wearing out the most. Year of birth: 1949.
Now to give the albums on Raul's list a listen, and maybe a couple of mine I haven't heard in 45 years.
Of course plenty of afterthoughts. For example, can't believe I list all those Kinks albums but not Village Green. Stuff that might beat out some of the above if list were still open for changes: Marshall Crenshaw FIELD DAY, The Pretenders THE SINGLES (although I think I've listened to the first album more), The KLF THE WHITE ROOM, my Etta James LP LOSERS WEEPERS, The Foundations DIGGIN' THE... (picked up for 22¢ along with two Duster Bennetts -- the other one 12DB's might actually be the one that belongs on the above list, if either do), Syd Barrett BARRETT, Deep Purple MACHINE HEAD, David Bowie CHANGESONEBOWIE, John Lennon PLASTIC ONO BAND, Stevie Wonder ANTHOLOGY (1977), R.E.M. OUT OF TIME, Billie Holiday's GREATEST HITS (Decca, 1968), Colin Blunstone ONE YEAR...but that's just me and my what happened to be in my record collection.
And plenty of classical music albums got plenty of play for me back when albums had two sides and they took work to replace on the record player. Mostly budget labels: Vox, Seraphim, London Treasury, Nonesuch. Anything conducted by Beecham or Stokowski. Holst THE PLANETS. Berlioz SYMPHONIE FANTASTIQUE. And Mozart, big time. Schubert too.

Blog Archive