Tuesday, November 15, 2011

avatar
I pretty much use classical music to cleanse my sonic palette. As such, my preferred are not the overblown (and over-heard) symphonic masterpieces, but the chamber ensemblings. A power trio (piano, violin, viola) suits me just fine. Specific works I don't pay enough attention to to know what I'm listening to, even down to who the composer might be. But I've heard enough to know that some I enjoy are Prokofiev, Schubert, Haydn, Bach, Mozart (of course, especially divertimentos), and plenty of others. I'm not a big fan of romantic, but there are moments. I thought I'd heard enough of the hoary chestnuts, but sometimes, with enough withdrawal, and a splendid new rendition, it can be like a hearing anew. So it goes with other styles of music too, but I wouldn't want to dismiss classical music just because it's music for the upper crust. The composers themselves were indentured servants and played to the hoi poloi as much as they could get away with. And sometimes the cultured (even if moneyed) had good taste too.

Blog Archive